Fort Rouge was a fort located on the Assiniboine River in Manitoba, Canada, on the site of what is now the city of Winnipeg. It is thought to be the first European building in Winnipeg, although its exact location is unknown. Its name in English means "Red Fort".
In 1738 Sieur Louis Damours de Louvieres built Fort Rouge on the Assiniboine River for Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Verendrye. La Verendrye and his sons, Louis-Joseph and Francois, proceeded further west on the Assiniboine and constructed Fort La Reine. The fort seems to have had a primary purpose as a depot and was abandoned by 1749.
ISGC © 2010