a web museum

 

St Augustine: vitreous enamel figure and dalle de varre surround in lead cames

Rault Freres, Rennes, France

c. 1954

The Romanesque (curved top) windows were originally made for a convent chapel in the tiny town of Forget, Saskatchewan. After the convent was closed around 1960, the panels were stored by Father Herve Vallee for more than forty years. Campion acquired them in 2005.

The Rault windows, uniquely among glass artists, use two forms of stained glass: conventional painted vitreous enamel for the figure, and dalle de verre (aka slab or faceted glass). The panels hover as if free of gravity in front of the original (and fortuitous) corner glazing.

 

St Augustine: vitreous enamel figure and dalle de varre surround in lead cames